Omega-3 is an essential oil required by the body for proper functioning. It protects from cardiovascular diseases and improves the development and functioning of the skin as well nervous and visual system. Astaxanthin is a carotenoid pigment and is one of the most effective antioxidants to support human health.
The global demand for Omega-3 and Astaxanthin for human consumption will require large quantities of both products:
260.000 tonnes of Omega-3 and 670 tonnes of Astaxanthin per year. This growing demand comes mainly from health conscious customer segment. This segment is also very interested in buying natural and eco-friendly products.
However, their traditional extraction process from marine organisms (mainly fish and krill) is not sustainable: over fishing, high energy, raw materials consumption and a low efficiency. The majority of the marine resources are fully exploited or overexploited.
The SME Neoalgae has designed an eco-innovative and sustainable industrial bioprocess for obtaining Omega-3 and Astaxanthin using marine microalgae as a natural source. This system is the answer to the growing demand in Omega-3 and Astaxanthin, especially in nutraceutical, cosmetic and pharmaceutical applications. With the new process, production of Omega-3 and Astaxanthin will not affect marine resources. Both products will be free of pollutants, without fishy aftertaste and odour free, apt for vegans, and with competitive and stable production costs.
The SME Bicosome has developed a novel biomimetic and biocompatible skin delivery technology with outstanding capabilities of protecting antioxidant molecules from degradation, preserving and boosting their efficacy in the cutaneous tissue. This technology introduces an innovative mechanism of interaction with the skin, allowing for a very precise delivery of the active ingredients in specific skin levels. This allows obtaining high performance dermopharmaceutical products containing the bioactives Omega-3 and Astaxanthin for the treatment of complex skin disorders.
After the feasibility of the new products has been proved at a technical and market level, this SME-2 project will scale-up the production of both compounds and will demonstrate their effectiveness through their inclusion in nutraceuticals and in new ecological products for the treatment of 3 skin diseases: acne, atopic skin and aging skin produced by the SME Bicosome.
Both companies will very happy to develop their business all around Europe.
- Astaxanthin Can Help Relieve Pain and Inflammation. Astaxanthin is a potent anti-inflammatory and pain reliever that can reduce the inflammatory compounds that drive many chronic diseases.
- Astaxanthin Helps Fight Fatigue. Astaxanthin provides excellent recovery from exercise. Pure natural astaxanthin is indicated for recovery of muscles, better endurance, enhanced strength and improved energy levels.
- Astaxanthin Supports Eye Health. Astaxanthin has the unique ability to cross through a barrier and reach your retina. Well-designed clinical trials have shown that astaxanthin helps diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, eye strain and fatigue and seeing in fine detail. There are well-designed positive human clinical trials supporting eye health.
- Astaxanthin Cleans Up the Cells. Astaxanthin is in a class of its own when it comes to antioxidant coverage, because it filters into every cell of the body. Its unique molecular lipophilic and hydrophilic properties allow it to span the entire cell, with one end of the astaxanthin molecule protecting the fat-soluble part of the cell and one end protecting the water-soluble part of the cell.Natural astaxanthin is exceptionally powerful in singlet-oxygen quenching. A 2007 study analyzed several popular antioxidants and their antioxidant power. This study found astaxanthin was 6,000 times stronger than vitamin C, 800 times stronger than CoQ10, 550 times stronger than green tea catechins and 75 times stronger than alpha lipoic acid.
- Gorgeous Skin and Sunscreen Protection. Astaxanthin has been shown to protect the body’s largest organ. The studies are clear and consistent and show excellent results for helping with skin moisture levels, smoothness, elasticity, fine wrinkles, and spots or freckles.
- Can Fight Depression and Anxiety
- Can Improve Eye Health
- Can Promote Brain Health During Pregnancy and Early Life
- Can Improve Risk Factors For Heart Disease
- Can Reduce Symptoms of ADHD in Children
- Can Reduce Symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome
- Can Fight Inflammation
- Can Fight Autoimmune Diseases
- Can Improve Mental Disorders
- Can Fight Age-Related Mental Decline and Alzheimer's Disease
- May Help Prevent Cancer
- Can Reduce Asthma in Children
- Can Reduce Fat in The Liver
- May Improve Bone and Joint Health
- Can Alleviate Menstrual Pain
- Fatty Acids May Improve Sleep
- Are Good For Your Skin
Astaxanthin and omega 3 oils
The astaxanthin has been extracted from Haematoccocus pluvialis cultures and the omega 3 oils from cultures of Nannochloropsis, Isochrysis and Phaeodactylum.
Facial cream elaborated with extract of Haematoccocus pluvialis rich in astaxanthin.
Capsules of Spirulina and Astaxanthin
Nutritional supplement elaborated with Spirulina and astaxanthin oil extracted from Haematoccocus pluvialis (patented technology).
Bicomega and Bicoxanthin
BICOSOME developed two exclusive systems able to incorporate and deliver the microalagae extracts rich in Omega 3 and Asthaxanthin into skin epidermal layers in order to obtain superior antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and protective effects. The products Bicosome-Asthaxanthin and Bicosome-Omega 3 were successfully developed and will be commecialised under the brands Bicoalgae® Xanthin and Bicoalgae® Omega 3 to treat skin disorders related with acne, atopic skin and aging.
NEOALGAE has launched the new industrial plant manufacturing processes for Omega-3 and Asthaxanthin.
- 1,9 M€ project budget
- 70% EU grant
- 738661 agreement number
- 10 new products (nutraceutical/cosmetic)
- 5 employment creation
Neoalgae is a technology-based company which is active in the biotechnology of microalgae, with headquarters in Asturias.
Aquaculture: For use in aquaculture, they have a wide variety of species of microalgae grown in Spain, to feed live prey and larvae.
Aquariology: They offer different microalgae products grown in Spain.
Nutrition: Microalgae, considered by some as superfoods, provide significant benefits to our health.
Cosmetics: They don´t limit the use of microalgae to the field of feeding, because they also provide numerous benefits in skin care.
Bicosome is a start-up company that develops and commercializes high performance cosmetic and dermopharmaceutical ingredients based on a patented proprietary platform, the Bicosome® Technology.
Bicosome® Technology has a breakthrough mechanism for skin delivery, which combines the most attractive properties of existing lipid systems but far exceeds their capabilities and avoids their drawbacks.
In Bicosome® strategy both active ingredient and carrier work together in synergy to produce an outstanding result.